Short History of – ‘Het Lemke’
Het Lemke has been completely restored in 2002. A few details.
The Lange Hezelstraat is one of the oldest streets of the Netherlands, its history dating back to Roman times. At that time the street was a connection between the encampment on the hills of the city Nijmegen in the east and the ‘Roman’ city in the west, the present-day Waterkwartier.
Around 1480, a chapel was built in the backyard of the Lange Hezelstraat 59 (now restaurant ‘Het Lemke’, i.e. ‘the Lambkin’), the foundations of which can be seen below the back of the house (down the steps). Furthermore, a very old well can also be seen there, probably from the fourteenth century. It belonged to the brewery, which was then situated in the building. Also a small fireplace has been found from 1530.
This hearth with the fire stones, on which are different images, can be seen under the thick sheet of glass in the middle of the house. Due to its late medieval walls and floors, the body of the house Lange Hezelstraat 59 is particularly of architectural and historical interest, such as the binding joist and the beams at the ceiling of about 1500. Upstairs there is also a candle-niche and sidewindows – overlooking an alley – which appeared from behind the walls and have now been bricked up. The sidewalls in the front building show construction traces of several centuries, such as arches, monastery jokes, Issel stones etc., also of the early sixteenth century. The high cellar (pointed-arch barrel vault) under the front building possibly dates back to the fourteenth century. In the sixteenth century, oldest mention 1560, up to and including the eighteenth century, besides the dwelling house, there was also a brewery in the building.
In the Middle Ages around 1500 the house Lange Hezelstraat 59, which included No. 57 as well, forming one building at that time (where now ‘Het Lemke’ has its seat), consisted of five ground floor rooms, behind which a repository, in which was a water pump, a kitchen, a stable and a garden, and eight upstairs rooms, attic, cellars and further commodities.
Almost throughout the seventeenth century the property, consisting of the house, a lean-to, a garden (now a historical terrace) and a brewery bore the name ‘Het Lemke’. Who thought up the names ‘Het Lemke’ for the brewery and the ‘de ‘Geborste Klomp’ (‘the Broken Clog’) for the other building, the latter having stood on the Hessenberg behind ‘Het Lemke’? Someone from far before 1726. Probably they were Hendrick Bars and his wife Belia, who lived and worked in the brewery around 1570.
In the eighteenth century (1726) the names (‘Lemke’ and’ ‘Geborste Klomp’) emerged in the deed of transfer for the first time by the acquisition of the 2 houses, in which the brewery was situated and ‘de Geborste Klomp’ by Adam van Wanraeij and the brewery was given the name ‘Het Lemke’ in the deed of transfer.
When Adam van Wanraeij passed away in 1786, this brewery came to a final end.
Afterwards a wine trade came into existence and became a success.